Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tutorial: Big Blythe Backdrop

Dear Jill,

Recently I have been finding it hard to find interesting and different places to photography my Blythes. I seem to have used every place in my house, so started wondering about backdrops.

I have seen backdrops for sale on Ebay, but they are quite pricy. But you know me - if I can find a way to make something, I will! So last week I bought myself some cardboard and decorative paper and got to work...

To make an A2 sized backdrop, you will need:



. 4x A4 sized scrapbooking card/decorative paper with a repeating pattern

. A2 sized piece of sturdy card stock (I used 2 pieces of A3, stuck together)

. Craft Glue

. Wide, Clear Cellotape

. Scissors

. Ruler

. Glue Spreader (optional, but it helps)


1. Lay your 2 pieces of A3 sturdy card stock on a large flat surface, line them up and cellotap together. I cellotaped both the front and the back of the card, to make it extra sturdy





2. Lay your 4 pieces of scrapbooking card/decorative paper out on top of your A2 piece of card. Line up each piece, starting with one of the corners, so that the 4 make a continuous piece. You don't want to be able to see any lines or pattern change if you can help it. This is why you need paper/card that has a repeating pattern. Work out in what order you're going to glue the card/paper down i.e. which bits are overlapping where. On this backdrop you can see a slight pattern change, but if it's only minimal you're not really going to notice too much :)


3. Place a small amount of glue on the back of the card - not too much, especially if you're using paper, as the glue can seep through and make the paper wobbly

4. Glue each piece of card down firmly. Any glue that seeps from the side should be carefully wiped off with a tissue.


5. Take your wide cellotape, and tape right along the outer edges of the backdrop. Try to do this in 4 continuous lengths to prevent joins being seen. Also tape quite close to the boarder, to minimise the amount of tape you are going to be able to see when photographing.

6. Lay on a flat surface, preferably with something heavy on top of it, and leave to dry.






7. Admire your work! An A2 size backdrop can be used both vertically and horizontally for Blythe, depending on what sort of angle you are shooting.

And that's how I make my backdrops! I've made quite a few of these in different patterns, and I find them really effective. Alternatively - you could use wrapping paper instead of scrapbooking card or decorative paper to cover the A2 card stock, it works just as well. I have also used 4 pieces of 12 x 12 scrapbooking stock, and just trimmed them down :)

Also, for photographing smaller objects, like Domos, you only need 1 piece of A4 card/paper, so it's even easier :)

Have fun!


Sarah
-x-

1 comment: